Saturday 30 November 2013

Creed: My Own Prison

   Released in 1997, My Own Prison sold millions of album and propelled Tallahassee's own Creed to super-stardom. Almost universally loathed by critics, the band has nonetheless garnered a large and stable following in the years since their ascent, break-up, and reunion. I managed to avoid the album back in the 1990s, so I thought that I would finally take a listen to one of the biggest selling albums of the late 1990s.

   The album opens with "Torn". A fairly generic Pearl Jam rip, the song is neither offensive nor all that appealing. I like the pretty heavy riff by underrated guitarist Mark Tremonti.Solid drumming, bass work, and decent vocals from sex-tape superstar Scott Stapp round out a decent song. I was surprised that I actually somewhat enjoyed the song, not as bad as people would have you believe. "Ode" shows the band's progressive rock tendencies. I like the rapid-fire guitar work. The song reminds of Alice In Chains(not nearly as good), very dark and introspective. Totally unoriginal, but a decent, if typical 90s alternative song. Drummer Scott Phillips is one of the album's highlights, a very solid and capable drummer. Again, "Ode" is actually not a bad song at all.

    Anyone who was into music in the late 90s remembers the smash hit "My Own Prison". I hated the song back in the day, and I can still say that it is not for me. The down-tuned, jangly guitars plod and annoy. Stapp's grunting and barely audible lyrics annoy at lower speeds. Despite this, the guitars are pretty heavy in the chorus, and the drumming and bass are still par excellence. You've likely heard this song a thousand times before, so there's not much more to say really. The band's Christian standpoint really comes into play here, and some people might be certainly turned off by that, but I try not to let religion affect my opinion of an artist's music. A mediocre song at best, one of the album's weakest. "Pity for a Dime" has an interesting Hendrix-lite main riff. The song induced sleep for me, it was very dull and boring, with the bass barely audible as the laughable lyrics seemed to get worse and worse. A heavy riff comes in halfway, but it's too late to save the mess of a song that drags on seemingly forever, repeating the chorus again and again. 

    "In America" brings in some more jazzy guitars and drumming. The pseudo socially-conscious lyrics are a comment on depravity and morals. A cheap organ comes in, as do echo effects on Stapp's voice. The song is terrible, easily one of the worst songs I've ever heard. The organ sounds terrible mashed with the digital-sounding guitars. The drums are far too aggressive and loud, a mess of a song. The only saving grace is the decent bass work from Brian Marshall. "Illusion" opens with an almost "free jazz" bass riff. A chugging metallic riff soon kicks in to join the bass. Stapp's vocals sound cardboard on the track, very thin and digital. The lead guitars are decent, and I didn't mind the solo at all. An average track.

   "Unforgiven" is a pretty heavy tune. The most metal-like song on the album, it's actually not that bad at all. I like the progressive metal elements of the song, especially the very solid bass and drum work. Easily the best song on the album, it shows that Creed were not totally devoid of decent songs. "Sister" is "nu-metal" meets grunge, which really summarizes Creed's sound quite well. Stapp's Pearl Jam on steroids vocals will never be for me, but fans of this style of singing can certainly appreciate what he has to offer. The song is not bad, but quite repetitive as the chorus repeats ad nauseum. Average.

   "What's This Life For" was another massive hit for the band. Pearl Jam would again be the reference point for the song, but somehow lacking what makes that band appealing to some. The song bores the crap out of me, and I cannot really find anything to like about it besides the decent drumming. Again, I'm sure that you've heard it tons of times before. Another big single "One" closes the album. A decent message to the tune, but another boring single from Creed.  Their non-singles seem to be the only real songs that have appeal to me, a band that has a few decent deep album cuts but lackluster singles.

  "My Own Prison" is bad, but not as bad as some have proclaimed. The band are very good musicians, but the songs lack heart and soul, feeling somehow forced and plastic-like. Fans of 1990s alternative will certainly find something to like here, but I'd rather never revisit Creed again, some things are better left in the past.

Rating-5/10
  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment